As you may know Google is working very hard on this product the Google Apps and they are always adding or enabling couple new features for the users and adopters. Just for your information Google has released few updates in last 2 weeks.
- Google Docs Viewer allows users now quickly view PDFs, MS Word and Power Point Documents … these documents were supported already for some time. Google now enabled support for these types of files:
- Microsoft Excel (.XSL and .XLSX)
- Microsoft Power Point 2007/2010 (.PPTX)
- Apple Pages (.PAGES)
- Adobe Illustrator (.IA)
- Adobe Photoshop (.PSD)
- AutoDesk AutoCad (.DXF)
- Scalable Vector Graphics (.SVG)
- PostScript (.EPS and .PS)
- TrueType (.TTF)
- XML Paper Specification (.XPS)
As you can see the Google Apps and Docs getting better every day and support now almost all common and most used file types. You can easily access then or preview by clicking on the attached file and it will bring up the Google Docs Viewer and preview the file for you.
- Another great feature for Google Apps has been made available today – it is Google Cloud Connect for Microsoft
What is it, you asked ? Well, this is a plugin that will enable you with ability to share, backup and simultaneously edit Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point documents with co-workers without the need for sending attachments back and forth. This is a real step up and great feature for collaboration across your office.
– Simultaneous editing for Word, PowerPoint and Excel files when using Microsoft Office.
– Google Docs sharing URLs for each Microsoft Office file.
– Revision history for Microsoft Office files, stored in Google Docs.
– Offline editing with smart synchronization of offline changes.
– No Microsoft Office upgrade or SharePoint® deployment required.
Google Apps, Google Apps for Business, Government and Education
Google Cloud Connect for Microsoft Office supports Microsoft Office 2003, 2007 as well as the latest Microsoft Office 2010. You must have the Google Docs feature activated on your domain. You have two options to install or deploy it to your users. You can allow the installation for users or you can deploy it and distribute on network as Google is providing .MSI installation package.
NOTE: Google Cloud Connect is not yet available for Apple Mac platform
Google Cloud Connect for Microsoft Office Download here – installation for Enterprise and download the .MSI package – here
- Click on the button Download Google Cloud Connect
- Click on the Accept and Install button to star the installation
- Installation will begin, just wait and once completed click Close