OpenVAS is a framework of several services and tools offering a comprehensive and powerful vulnerability scanningand vulnerability management solution. The powerful and comprehensive OpenVAS solution is available as Free Software and maintained on a daily basis.
This tool is very simple and easy to install and here are the steps to install it on CentOS 6.3 server:
- OpenVas package is not available in standard repos, so we need to add Atomicorp Repository
su wget -q -O – http://www.atomicorp.com/installers/atomic |sh
- You will be prompted to agree, type YES
- You just wait till the process complete
- Now lets start the installation of OpenVas
su yum install openvas
- Run the setup to update the vulnerability database and create users and certificates
- Next run this command
- During the process you will be asked to create an user and passowrd to acess and manage your installtion of OpenVAS
- Once completed go to https://localhost:9392 and login with the credentials
In case you got error during the setup regarding plugins no worries, you can run the plugin update manually:
Now you can continue with configuration, adding hosts, adding credentials for scans as well as creating the tasks.