Here is a basic info on leads in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011. Leads are temporary, and all leads will be either qualified or disqualified at some point. If someone purchases from your company, you’ll probably convert the lead to an account or contact. If you lose the sale, you’ll disqualify the lead, which will remove it from the list of active leads but still retain all communication history.
When converting the lead to an opportunity, sometimes you’ll find that someone has already created an account or contact record for the lead. To avoid duplicates in this situation, just convert the lead to an opportunity in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011.
Here are steps to convert Lead in Microsoft® Outlook® 2010 or in the Internet Explorer browser:
1. On the Navigation Pane, click Sales and then Leads.
2. Your current leads list should appear.
3. Highlight the lead you’d like to convert.
4. On the Leads tab of the ribbon, in the Actions group, click the Qualify button.
5. Place a checkmark next to the Account, Contact, and/or Opportunity fields. If you choose all three, Microsoft Dynamics CRM will create an account, a related contact, and a related opportunity based on this lead record.
6. Click OK.
7. The new entities will be created, and the original lead record will be deactivated.